Using satellite imagery and historical maps to study the original contours of Lalbagh Botanical Garden

Iyer, Meera and Nagendra, Harini and Rajani, MB (2012) Using satellite imagery and historical maps to study the original contours of Lalbagh Botanical Garden. Current Science, 102 (3). pp. 507-509. ISSN 0011-3891

[img]
Preview
PDF
2012-rajani-cs.pdf - Published Version

Download (384kB)
ContributionNameEmail
Official URL: http://cs-test.ias.ac.in/cs/Volumes/102/03/0507.pd...
Related URLs:
    Abstract: The Lalbagh Botanical Garden in Bangalore, one of the country’s oldest botanical gardens, has a long history. In 1760, Hyder Ali established a garden here, which was later expanded by his son Tipu Sultan. After Tipu was defeated and killed in 1799, the stewardship of Lalbagh passed through several hands before finally being taken over by the then Government of Mysore and made the Government Gardens. It is generally believed that the garden that Hyder Ali set up in 1760 was located north of and adjacent to the Lalbagh tank. For example, maps published by the Department of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka depict the garden between 1760 and 1856 covering a roughly rectangular patch of about 40 acres adjacent to the tank. Using a combination of historical maps, old paintings and recent remotely sensed images, we have examined the actual boundaries of the garden as it was in the period of Tipu.
    Item Type: Article
    Additional Information: Copyright belongs to the Publisher
    Subjects: School of Humanities > Archaeology
    Divisions: Schools > Humanities
    Date Deposited: 14 Feb 2012 04:29
    Last Modified: 08 May 2015 09:57
    URI: http://eprints.nias.res.in/id/eprint/296

    Actions (login required)

    View Item View Item